Drivers Must Yield When Crosswalk Occupied

When should motorists stop or yield if a pedestrian, runner, bicyclist, etc., is crossing the roadway in front of them? The answer is provided in California Vehicle Code Sections 21949-21971.

VC Section 21950 states: “The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.”

VC Section 21951 states: “Whenever any vehicle has stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.”

VC Section 21952 states: “The driver of any motor vehicle, prior to driving over or upon any sidewalk, shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian approaching thereon.”

There is an interesting LA Times REDDIT Q&A discussion titled “PSA: Yield right of way to pedestrians in marked AND unmarked crosswalks”.  Read it at

Read the California Vehicle Code Sections at:

Bond Shands
Desert Political Opinion blog –
The Notebook blog –
Twitter – @BondShands
Please LIKE my Desert Political Opinion page at


5.00 avg. rating (96% score) - 1 vote